Short blog. Important info.
Attended Jean Bolen’s and Pam Rujput’s (academic turned activist from India) Session (hosted by Kim Wiley): Proposal for a 5th UN NGO Conference on Women - 5WCW.
What: A conference that brings women of the world together to create a global women’s movement. From there we go to creating a global women’s parliament (like the women’s parliament created in India). (Check out http://www.iwidindia.org/)
Where: Get support now at 55CSW. Proposal: To be held in New Delhi, India.
When: In 2015, which is 20 years after the 4th WCW held in Beijing.
- We have a new generation whose aspirations for a world where women live free of hunger, strife, fear of their lives and in equality are not embodied in the Beijing document. They have not had the experience of the energy and the synergy of such a gathering.
- Tonight will be launched UN Women—the new superagency for Women in the UN. The time has come.
- We have the opportunity through technology to make this a real and virtual conference so that those who travel and those who can’t will be part of the next and hopefully final wave of the feminist movement.
- We are full of energy
- There is more than the Beijing platform
- The political environment is ripe for change. Now is the time at the beginning of the 21st Century
How: By each one of you, everyone, man and woman, finding what is meaningful to you and living your “one wild precious life” caring about people beyond your immediate world. Because in the end, we are all connected.
Brainstorming ensued. I suggested that we take our own circles of friends, families, colleagues, and others, and have each circle ripple outwards towards other circles, each with one simple task (for now)—sign the petition for a 5WCW. If three people tell three different people tell three different people, after 19 iterations greater than 1.6 billion people will be on board.
Go to www.5wcw.org. Scroll down and you will see. It’s simple. It’s free. It’s important. So do it now.